Thursday, January 12, 2012

Teaching Experiences

This is first in a series of [potentially] many posts about my teaching experiences, at the great Kendriya Vidyalay, Ganeshkhind. I had a very nice moment at school today, which I would like to share. It is these moments that make teaching here bearable. To learn about the un-bearable things, go to the next part of this post. 


So I was going along the corridor, when I saw a very small kid, about 1st standard, standing with the doe eyed look only very small guys and gals can give. As I went to him, he gestured towards his untied shoe-laces, and asked me to tie them for him.  There is some un-describable, ummm, not joy per se, but feel good feeling, which comes from helping the young of the species.  As I was helping him, he asked innocently  [whats the word for निरागस in english? innocent just doesnt cut it], " तुम किसके पापा हो ? " In any other circumstance, this would have been a normal question, but coming from him, I found a wierd [विलक्षण] happiness from this exchange. Cant explain why, but I am sure you understand. 


These moments are few and far between. Most of time is spent in trying to get 9th standard kids to not talk and pay attention in class. I am afraid, by this, that I have surely become the laughing stock of all the three 9th classes. Doesnt matter, as long as they pay attention. Also, after the exams, it doesnt feel as if it makes a difference, whether I teach or not. The good students get good marks, the average average, and the bottom kids remain at the bottom. The only difference, which I think is maybe made, is at the average level, some kids might have studied more, but that is undetectable.




This teaching affects me a lot. If the kids are perky and lively in class, I am high all day, if they are noisy and make a lot of noise etc, then I am irritable all day long. Also, it drains a lot of my energy going to school and all that. I am just looking for these few moments, which make the entire effort worthwhile. Also the cheque that comes at the end of the month :P

No comments:

Post a Comment